This post is a continuously updated description of the current state of one of our “embedded-desks”.
A computer is a great tool. Both for creating things (programming, PCB-layout etc) and it’s a great companion when assembling stuff. Displaying datasheets, graphing etc.
But as on all working tables: The desk area is sacred!
So it was not an option with something desk-standing, and the computer screen and necessary equipment should take little desk space and should be easy to completely remove if necessary.
So at the moment the desk has the following:
- Computer: Mac mini
- i7 Quad Core, 8GB Ram, SSD for OS and a spinning drive for storage.
- With Windows 7
- Altium Designer
- Attached to the back wall under the desk with this 3D-printed model.
- Keyboard: Wireless Apple Keyboard
- Mouse: Logitech M560 Black
- Monitor: Dell U2515H
- Monitor arm: Dell MSA14
- “High end” USB3-hub
Measurement and test equipment
- Saleae Logic Pro 16 (Red). A 100 MHz, 500 Ms/s logic analyzer with an additional analog capacity (50 MS/s @ 12 Bits, -3dB BW 5MHz, +- 10V)
- Saleae Logic 8
- Agilent (Keysight) U1272A Multimeter
- Agilent (Keysight) U1232A Multimeter
- Agilent (Keysight) U1177A Multimeter Bluetooth Module
- Hitachi “Old School” Analog V-665 Oscilloscope
- GW Instek GFG-8050 Function Generator (with sweeping)
- uCurrent Gold
- Half Ohm milliohm adapter
For removing solder fumes we have this setup:
This fans are controlled by an AVR (analog -> PWM). On our wishlist you will find an even more quiet ventilation system.
You can read more about the lights on the embedded desk in this blog post.
A Metcal MX-5200 with a good selection of different cartridges.
- Rigol DP832
- PeakTech P 6135 Power Supply (Upgraded after this video, but we have still done some modifications for ease of use)
We have different tools here, but the heaviest one is probably a J-Link PLUS form Segger. Can program almost everything;)
We made a small “desk control” that includes ventilation and light control. And the power to the different equipment has to be “activated” by a RFID-card controlled power box. The box does also logs activity and can transmit it over WIFI.
This list is not complete and will continuously be updated!
LAST EDITED: 9.2.2016